Friday, April 20, 2007

Working Eater Series: Apple and Gorgonzola Panini Sandwiches

Looking for an uncomplicated way to enliven your monotonous brown bag lunches? Try this refined, bourgeois version of the ubiquitous grilled cheese sandwich.

Start with a freshly-baked loaf of herbed panini (focaccia) bread. Slice the bread into individual-sized sandwich servings. Then, use your fingers to evenly distribute crumbled gorgonzola cheese over the bottom slices of the bread.

Meanwhile, wash, core, and cut a red delicious apple into thin slices. You may also use fuji or gala apples or a bosc pear, but I'd advise against using Granny Smith apples because of their tartness. Of all the apple varieties, I like using red delicious apples the best because of the classic red color. Nestle the slices of red delicious apple into the gorgonzola crumbles.

Next, cover the sandwiches with the top half of the panini bread and place the sandwiches in a panini press or non-stick grill appliance, such as a George Foreman grill.

The sandwich should be heated on the medium setting of the grill for about five minutes or less, depending on the strength of the panini press or grill.

After five minutes, there should be parallel grill marks impressed into the surface of the bread and the melted cheese will be oozy and supple. The apples should have retained their crispness and will provide a delicate sweetness and freshness to the final grilled cheese sandwich.

This sandwich goes well with fresh fruits, such as juicy red strawberries and purple clusters of red grapes.

21 comments:

  1. Another winner. Anyone can whip up a foam, that is not gourmet. Gourmet is making the ordinary, extra-ordinary. Gournet is making memories with whatever you create. PE, you are a gourmond.

    Mind if I add some little thinly sliced pieces of Smithfield ham to mine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about a recipe similar to this on an NPR segment regarding a book about Panini's. Lovely photos and commentary. No one can do it like PE can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks delicious! years ago i had no interest in sweet and savory together but now especially apples, i love them with cheese so much, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PE,

    I can't help but keep noticing that your pictures are so great now, and the food you make are truly droolsome. :)

    Congratulations! There are so much fun in the kitchen, don't you think? Now we have to convert Elmo and Panda so they start cooking at home instead of eating out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great!!

    It has been decided: I am making this next week to take into work for lunch. I have a weakness for gorgonzola -- lactose intolerance be damned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm gonna try this one in the new indoor grill my husband just bought! What a great idea to liven up my lunch bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I showed this to Cranky yesterday and he got so excited, he went out and bought apples. Guess what I'm havin' for lunch today?

    ReplyDelete
  8. DID YOU KNOW?... Sandwiches were invented by the mysterious King of Sandwich (Sandwich being a primitive island state off the coast of Cape Sandwich!!)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another "I want to swallow the screen" post!

    I'll try to make this one!

    Kudos! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So this is what I've been craving today! A panini! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At Super Target, they sell a frozen pizza that is Apple & Gorgonzola Thin Crisp Crust Pizza....its outta this world!! I never even thought of making panini with those ingredients. Another recipe I will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this luscious post! I always take my lunch to school and just last week I hit the wall because I was so fed up of taking leftover pasta. (I'm not very inventive when I pack my lunches in the wee hours of the morning.) But now, after this post... Guess what I'm taking on Tuesday?

    Ari (Baking and Books)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum! I LOOOOOVE adding apples to my turkey sandwiches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another fine looking sandwich. Is it dinner yet?

    ReplyDelete
  15. teehee, I love the stomach growls reference! Hmmm, those look really yummmy and my tummy is certainly rumbling...

    ReplyDelete
  16. oooh so bourgeois! so beautiful! so for me. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. panini press, grill or GEORGE FOREMAN!!!

    looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much everyone for leaving your supportive comments! For those of you who tried it, I hope you liked the sandwich! Paninis are such a wonderful sandwich creation, because of the crisp, grilled bread crust and the ooey, gooey melted cheese inside!

    And thank you so much Anonymous! I think Smithfield ham would be a delicious addition!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great! I love the simplicity of your recipies!

    By the way, you should check out 'wichcraft on Mission and 5th sometime. Excellent sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, I visited Wichcraft, and I was bewitched Taste Tester

    Thank you Sophie, the apple and the gorgonzola go very well together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy every comment, and will try to reply if time permits. If you have a blog, please leave a link. I love to discover new and delicious sites!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...