Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Confiserie Sprüngli


The one store that defined my trip to Zurich, Switzerland, was without a doubt, Confiserie Sprüngli, a delicious store which is a combination bakery (with a dizzying selection of toothachingly sweet Swiss pastries) and confectioner/chocolatier’s shop. (Thank you for the tip, Just Hungry!)

The moment you enter, you will see a throng of eager patrons standing in line to order Confiserie Sprüngli’s renowned Luxemburgerli macaroons. The macaroons generally consist of (1) decadently buttery chocolate ganache or (2) cloud-like puffs of whipped cream, sandwiched in between two melt-in-your-mouth meringue mounds that have an airy, wafer-like crispness. The meringues literally evaporate in your mouth like a sweet silk, made of sugar.


Yes folks, this is what manna must have tasted like. Hallelujah!



The first thing I thought of when I read the word “luxemBURGERli,” was the word, “burger.” The Luxemburgerli macaroons do indeed look like dainty finger-sized burgers, but exhibit an artistic flair—they might possess a bright pastel sheen, a luminescent surface which reflects the glistening sunlight, or be covered in a blanket of powdered cocoa. Confiserie Sprüngli has a stunning array of robust flavors, including pistachio and alcohol-infused flavors such as champagne and Bailey’s liqueur. But there are flavors even for the unadventurous, including classic French vanilla, and Swiss chocolate.


After you’ve ordered your macaroons and paid at the counter (but before you open the pristine box flaps to your macaroon feast), take the time to read the attached message printed in three different languages (German, French, and English) on a paper slip the size of those you find in fortune cookies. The instruction on the message is simple, yet forceful, "Enjoy [your macaroons] as soon as possible." The delicate texture of the macaroons are best eaten in seconds so that they retain their crisp and airy texture, and don't become chewy and stale from humid air.


These Luxemburgerli macaroons, unfortunately, don't come cheap. I remember the price as roughly five Swiss francs (approximately, four dollars) for a small box of four macaroons. But believe you me, they're worth every bite.

If you aren't in the mood for sweets, the Confiserie Sprüngli on Bahnhofstrasse (the main thoroughfare in Zurich) sells savory foods, such as sandwiches, quiches, and meat pies.


So to recap, if you're in Zurich, you "must" visit Confiserie Sprüngli. It's the place to eat Swiss sweets!

16 comments:

  1. Oh, those macarons look delicious! A great place!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rosa's Yummy Yums, Confiserie Sprungli is in Switzerland, so I am sure you go there often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. honey, that TOWER of macarons...

    yowza!!!!

    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was tremendous SteamyKitchen, absolutely tremendous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love visiting a new bakery, even if it is only through someone else's eyes and stomach! Delicious.
    Macarons have to be the cookie of the year. They have sprung up everywhere. So many different types, too.
    I think you showed great restraint in only buying 4. How long did that take you to make up your mind?
    I get all panicky when I have to order. It's such a final committment...what if I get it wrong?
    (I guess it's safe to say, we won't be seeing any great Coocoo clock shops while you were in Switzerland! Bring on the bakery tours! Yeah!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melinda, they were delicious, and if you ever have an opportunity to go to Switzerland, Confiserie Sprungli should be the first stop on your trip! As for deciding what to order, I actually came with the beau one day earlier (before I took these pictures), and we ordered two macaroons of each flavor. However, we ordered them in anticipation of feeding our friends (not just ourselves)! We met up with friends from Italy (who were visiting Zurich), and they helped us to polish them off. Of the ones that I tried, my favorites were the vanilla and the Bailey's, so I ordered them again on my repeat visit. Also, I definitely hit up the bakeries before those cuckoo shop stores!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a colorful post! They really do look like mini burgers. How many did you end up eating?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I kept count Chef Ben, but thankfully (for my conscience), I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I'm with the Single Guy, what darling little burgers! Oof though your closeup shots of the delicate meringues and creamy fillings are making me just gaga because they look so perfect. Are these Swiss ones the best in the world? They certainly look like they are...

    ReplyDelete
  10. absolutely stunning. your photos came out beautiful! the description of the 'decadently buttery chocolate ganache' quite riveting to the senses. 'tis surely a difficult place to pull away from and see the rest of Zurich!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy but the best macarons are from ladurée in paris

    ReplyDelete
  12. They were spectacular Foodhoe, but I think that MR Style has made an excellent point--I need to try many, many more macaroons before I can dispositively endorse Sprungli's macaroons as being the "best." (Did you hear that, beau? I need to eat more macaroons!) They were delicious though, and worth a taste if you ever get the opportunity.

    Thank you so much Taste Memory, I am so excited to continue my Zurich blogging adventures!

    And "laduree," you say MR Style? I will have to try those out someday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look like little tiny burgers! Last time I tried making macaroons I failed. But anyway, happy travels and thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. thankfully you can find decent macaroons in sf :)

    have you visited the food market near the pier?
    http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/

    they have a store that also sells delicious macaroons. that's a comparison starter :)

    ps. i love your photo collage. very nice way to sum it up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Jasmine! They are difficult to make, so I am impressed!

    Yes RLo, I love the Ferry Building! If you ever come back to SF, we should go there together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy every comment, and will try to reply if time permits. If you have a blog, please leave a link. I love to discover new and delicious sites!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...