Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Working Eater Series: Popcorn, Elevated


Like most people, my "go-to" snack is popcorn. If it is not smothered in butter or margarine, laden with salt, or coated in a hard candy shell, it is a healthy, ethereal, and satisfying alternative to greasy and sugary snacks. And it usually is a staple in everyone's pantry! I usually try to air-pop my popcorn with dried corn kernels and a brown bag. All you need to do is fill a small paper lunch bag with 1/2 a cup of dried corn kernels, tightly fold or crumple it shut, and microwave it on high for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your microwave settings and when the popping sound decreases (just like the directions on the processed kind). Follow those directions, and you will have instant microwaved popcorn. For popcorn, do not resort to the artificially-flavored and carcinogenic popcorn brands of the Orville Redenbacher, Pop Secret, or Act II-persuasion.

However, plain popcorn is monotonous and buttered popcorn quickly gets tedious without something extra special to elevate it into "spectacular" territory.


For me, I love furikake, a slightly sweet and very umami/savory Japanese spice blend made of dried bonito fish flakes, seaweed, and other flavorings. If you are not familiar with furikake, think anchovies or fish sauce, but less salty and in a dried form. For a Japanese or Hawaiian-inspired popcorn snack, just add (1) slivers of nori (dried seaweed), (2) a couple of tablespoons of dried furikake seasoning, (3) several drops of dark sesame oil (very intensely flavored, so act with a judicious hand), and (4) a pinch or two of wasabi powder for the perfect flavor profile. You could also add salted peanuts too!


For a N'Awlins-inspired popcorn, dissolve a teaspoon or so of creole seasoning and a few dashes of Tabasco with a melted tablespoon of butter and quickly toss the mixture in with the popcorn and feast away!

For a South American-inspired popcorn, I usually just add salt, chile powder, and the juice of 1/2 a lime. This combo works with corn on the cob too, and it is divine!

I have also heard of additions of dried oregano, cumin, and parmesan cheese, but I have yet to try those flavor combos. Do you have any "spectacular" popcorn ideas to share? I would love to hear your suggestions!

10 comments:

  1. I love furikake popcorn! Reminds me of furikake chex mix too! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my take on grilled Viet corn. 1 tablespoon of buttered with 2 tablespoon of green onion sauteed in the butter. Toss in your popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my take on grilled Viet corn. 1 tablespoon of buttered with 2 tablespoon of green onion sauteed in the butter. Toss in your popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From a take fron grIIIed VIet corn: 2 tablespoons of green onion sauteed in 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of canola oil. Toss in popcorn and yum commences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nori really reminded me of the Hawaiian style of popcorn. But if you really want to make Hawaiian style popcorn, then you need a bag of Arare, which is the Japanese soy-covered rice cracker treats. They've been sold in Hawaii since I was a kid, and my friends would mix a bag with the popcorn so you go the popcorn flavor mixed with the soy sauce crackers with nori. Now that's classic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! What a great taste and mouthfeel this must have, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed it was upgraded and I love it. Thanks for this ideas. God Bless!! private chef in austin texas

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like my three cheese blend.
    Toss 16 cups hot popped corn with 2 cups shredded cheddar, 1 cup grated parmesan and 1/2 cup grated pecorino; spread on baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F until the cheddar melts, 3 minutes. Season with salt, oregano and cumin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take a minute to listen to my top 3 dining out tricks so you can continue to eat out AND stick to your healthy eating plan. Also, I have a delicious SHRIMP SCAMPI RECIPE for you. This recipe is so easy


    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy every comment, and will try to reply if time permits. If you have a blog, please leave a link. I love to discover new and delicious sites!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...